Provincial: In a quest to continue to reduce crime in the Free State and ensure the safety and security of the community of Free State, the police have increased visibility and intensified crime prevention operations which includes roadblocks, stop and search operations, tracing suspects on warrant of arrests and patrols.
As a result of these High Density Operations which commenced on Friday 17 November until Monday morning, a total number of 630 people were arrested throughout the Province. The arrests were effected in the following crimes:
– Contact crimes inclusive of murder, attempted murder and assaults = 95
– Contact related crimes inclusive of arson and malicious damage to property = 9
– Crimes detected as a result of police actions = 207
– Liquor related crimes = 120
– Property related crimes including, business burglaries, burglary residential = 22
– Other arrests = 154
– Other serious crimes = 23
A number of liquor outlets were also visited to check compliance and 1164 fines were also issued.
A total number of 64 dangerous weapons, 12 firearms and ammunition, drugs, liquor, livestock, copper cables, precious metals and stones and vehicles were confiscated. Fourteen warrants of arrests were executed.
“This is just the beginning of many arrests that will be effected his festive season and beyond. We will not allow criminals to use our Province as a playground. Those who envisage spoiling the holidays for our communities in whatever way will face the wrath of the law”. Our members will continue to infiltrate hotspots areas to minimize space for criminal behaviour”, said Lt General Lebeoana Tsumane.