Monday, 13 December 2021
Bloemfontein: The Free State Department of Health is alarmed by the rapid rise of cases of daily infections. Mangaung is leading the pack, followed by Lejweleputswa and Fezile Dabi who are on par then, Thabo Mofutsanyana and Xhariep.
The rapid rise in numbers precedes the projected 4th Wave of infections with Omicron emerging as a new variant of concern that is understood to be spreading faster than the previous variants.
Health Care Workers, the working population, Professionals and every Members of the Community, have been warned by Provincial Health authorities to take all the necessary precautions to prevent the spread of Covid19 through adherence to established Non Pharmaceutical Interventions and taking the vaccine, ensuring that they are fully vaccinated, with Johnson & Johnson requiring 1 shot and Pfizer requiring 2 doses, taking the available Booster.
The Provinces has broken down the recorded infections as follows:
There are 1 938 new cases
- 882 in Mangaung Metro;
- 311 in Fezile Dabi;
- 305 Thabo Mofutsanyana;
- 311 in Lejweleputswa;
- 129 in Xhariep; and
- 0 Unknown districts.
Provicial cases data is as follows:
- Total confirmed COVID-19 cases in the province is 172 704, with 157 785 (91%) recoveries;
- The proportion of confirmed cases among people younger than 20 years is 16% (27 266 out of the 172 704);
- The median (IQR) age of cumulative COVID-19 cases is 39 (26-53) years;
- More females are infected (58%; 100 234 out of the 172 166);
- 7 116 deaths reported in the province to date, with highest case fatality rate reported in Thabo Mofutsanyana District;
- The provincial case fatality rate is 4.2%;
- The median (IQR) age of COVID-19 deaths is 56 (39-69) years;
- Majority of the deaths are in older age groups – 45 years and above (6 238 out of the 7 116); and
- 41% of deaths are recorded among males (2 944 out of the 7 116).