Monday, 28 September 2020
Bloemfontein: As of the 28 September 2020, Free State COVID-19 confirmed cases stand at 46 349, with 221 new cases and 178 new deaths reported.
According to Health Minister, Dr Zweli Mkhize, there has been a “two-week delay” in the reporting of Free State deaths, as the province collated data from the various districts and verified this against Home Affairs data.
“This is part of efforts to improve the quality of data by aligning information from facilities with Home Affairs statistics. Data from post-mortem swabs also had to be collated and verified. This is in line with the recommendations of the Medical Research Council.” Mkhize explained, adding that the data are now up to date.
The Provincial new cases data is as follows:
There are 221 new cases:
- 90 in Mangaung Metro;
- 16 in Fezile Dabi;
- 38 Thabo Mofutsanyana;
- 31 in Lejweleputswa;
- 46 in Xhariep; and
- 0 Unknown districts
The Provincial data is as follows:
- Total confirmed COVID-19 cases in the province 46 349;
- 31,949 (69%) recoveries;
- The prevalence among people younger than 20 years is 12% (5 376 out of 46 349 confirmed cases);
- The median (IQR) age of cumulative COVID-19 cases is 40 (29-52) years;
- 1016 deaths reported in the province till date, with highest case fatality rate reported in Lejweleputswa District;
- The provincial case fatality rate is 2.2%;
- The median (IQR) age of COVID-19 deaths is 63 (54-72) years;
- Majority of the deaths fall within the age group of 55-64 years (294 out of the 1 016 deaths);
- Although more females are infected (60%; 27 914 out of the 46 189); and
- 49% of deaths are recorded among males (493 out of the 1 016).