Thursday, November 22, 2018

The Electoral Commission (IEC) has welcomed a ruling by the Constitutional Court granting an extension for the Electoral Commission to update the voters’ roll with addresses for all voters to November 2019.

In a statement released on Thursday, the IEC said the ruling provides certainty on the status of the voters’ roll and especially those voters without addresses ahead of next year’s national and provincial elections.

Earlier in the day, the Constitutional Court granted the IEC’s application for the extension of the finalisation of the voters roll. In 2016, the court gave the IEC until June 2018 to finalise the roll. However, in May the elections agency made an urgent application for an extension of the suspension of an order.

“Today’s judgment will greatly assist the Electoral Commission in ensuring the elections are free and fair,” IEC spokesperson Kate Bapela said.

She said the IEC remained committed to meeting the conditions set by the Constitutional Court including that voters without addresses provide their address prior to voting as well as periodical reporting.

“The Electoral Commission hopes the ruling will provide additional impetus and encouragement to all voters to come forward to provide and update their address details during the 26 – 27 January final registration weekend and other opportunities during the upcoming election period,” she said.

The Click, Check and Confirm portal on the website is available for voters to provide their addresses ahead of the registration weekend.

“The Electoral Commission remains committed to meeting its Constitutional obligations in maintaining a voters’ roll that is accurate, up-to-date and inclusive of as many eligible voters as possible and calls on all stakeholders including political parties, voters, civil society and others to work together in achieving this objective.”

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.