Tuesday, 16 March 2021

Thaba Nchu: A mother and her three children lost their lives on Sunday 14 March 2021 after they allegedly used a pest control poison in their home at Selosesha Extension Three; Thaba Nchu.

It is alleged that on Saturday; the 13 March 2021, the mother sprayed a pest control poison at her home to get rid of cockroaches. She then left the house with her four children to allow the poison to work.

Later on, the mother and her children went to sleep. On Sunday 14 March 2021, the family started to experience medical complications and an ambulance was called and they were referred to Thaba`Nchu hospital.

The mother; Oregolele Mochudi (32), with her two boys Andile Mochudi (2) and Nathi Mochudi (7) died at the hospital whilst the two girls, Omphile and Gontse were referred to various hospitals in Bloemfontein.

The 12 year old Omphile Mochudi later died and Gontse Mochudi; aged 13, is still in hospital. Their uncle who apparently went to the house during the day, was also admitted to the local hospital in Thaba Nchu.

A case of inquest has been registered for further investigation.

The Provincial Commissioner of Free State, Lieutenant General Baile Motswenyane sent her deepest condolences to the Mochudi family and pleaded with the community to use South African Bureau of Standards approved products as per instructions written on package labels.