Provincial: A total number of 529 people were arrested around the Province during operations that were conducted on last week Friday until Sunday. Some of these suspects appeared in different Magistrate court on Monday, 4th December 2017 and others are appeared on Tuesday, 05 December 2017.
The suspects were arrested during the Festive Season High Density operation that took place between midnight on Friday, 01 December 2017 until Sunday, 03 December 2017. Police conducted stop and search, arrested suspects on old cases and the new ones including issuing of fines ranging from drinking in public, traffic related fines including liquor related crimes.
Of all the people were arrested during operations the following was executed:
- 90 were arrested for contact crimes which include murder, rape, assault and sexual offence related crime.
- 4 suspects were arrested for robbery with a weapon other than a firearm.
- 11 people were arrested for crime related to malicious damage to property.
- 130 people were arrested for crime detected as a result of police action. These are drug related crimes, driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs and the illegal possession of firearm and ammunition.
- 185 people were arrested for liquor related crimes. These are drinking in public, drunk in public, illegal dealing in liquor and illegal macro manufacturing of crimes.
During these operations police managed to remove 1 dangerous suspect from the community. He was arrested for illegal possession of a firearm. The firearm will also be sent to ballistics to check if it was not used on other crimes, including robbery or murder.
- 14 people were arrested for possession of suspected stolen property.
- 27 people were also arrested for other crimes like shoplifting, theft and fraud.
The following items were confiscated during these operations:
- 27 Dangerous weapons
- 110 969 grams of drugs which include dagga, crack cocaine, mandrax and mandrax powder.
- 14 Electronic and audio visual equipment.
- 944 Fines were issued which includes Bylaws, J534 and other Liquor compliance notices.
- 16 Traffic fines issued
- 620 500 Liquor was also confiscated.
- 13 warrants of arrests were executed.
All these cases were registered at different police stations in the province and will be continued to be investigated.