Friday, 14 January 2022

Vrede: On Friday; 14 January 2022 , the Free State Provincial Government under the leadership of Honourable Premier; Sisi Ntombela, officially handed over the Vrede Dairy Integrated farm in Vrede; Phumelela Local Municipality.

The project is expected to contribute meaningfully into the economic growth and development of Phumelela Local Municipality, Provincial and National.

“The struggle for land and resource is continuing, as expressed in the Freedom Charter. What our government is doing today is indeed a step in the right direction,”

“The founding fathers and mothers of our young democracy have bestowed our Nation with a Constitution that seeks to reverse the imbalances of the past. Today as I am standing here I am grateful that we have the rightful owners of the project taking over the management and the implementation of this project.” said Premier; Sisi Ntombela.

The project has sixty five (65) verified beneficiaries who were identified as the rightful owners of the two thousand and ninety four hectare (2 094) farm, which already boasts state of the art farming equipment, over 500 different types of cattle, crops etc.

The farm is a whooping R280 million investment by the Department of Agriculture And Rural Development. The 65 beneficiaries own 51% stake on the farm and the remaining 49% will be open to strategic partner to ensure long-term sustainability of the project.

The project was established in 2012, by the Provincial Department of Agriculture and Rural Development (DARD) with the aim of empowering black farmers with knowledge and skill of operating a successful farming dairy enterprise, which would contribute immensely to the local economy and improving the livelihoods of its communities.